Saturday, September 1, 2012

God is Working.

Wednesday held a huge shock to say the least.

Thursday held endless questions--many that I simply could not answer because I didn't really understand what was going on myself.

Thursday afternoon held comfort--physical therapy. No, it wasn't  "comfortable" in the physical sense. It actually made me hot and dizzy and sweaty. I turned bright red. I cried. But, Jess, my physical therapist, put me at ease. I trust her knowledge, her experience, her compassion, her love for her patients, her.

She is a huge answer to prayer. 

We practiced placing my foot on the ground. A huge feat. We practiced standing up with a walker--all the weight being on my left foot, my right foot just touching the ground.

I'd say we're taking it one step at a time, but it's actually a bit slower than that.

The ladies doing therapy at the same time I was were fascinated. People stared. People asked questions. Jess explained what was going on as simply as she could. I wish I could remember her words so I could relay them to you, but I don't. I just remember that my nervous system is out of whack, it's getting the wrong signals, and we need to re-train it. It will respond to normal stimuli as gently as possible. I need to keep my foot touching the ground as much as I can--until it swells and turns darker purple (or until I get too sweaty or nauseous--all part of the whacked out nervous system). It's not easy. It's scary. But, I have to get well. Jess is confident that I will. She knows we can do it with therapy--not a nerve block.

Friday held more appointments--the pain management doctor and more physical therapy.

I was nervous. I was torn. My foot doctor wanted me to have a nerve block. I trust him, but I was unsure. Jess didn't think it was a good idea. I completely trust her. I didn't know what to do. I prayed for wisdom. Many of you prayed for wisdom. I saw the doctor, and he decided to put me on Lyrica and keep me in therapy. No nerve block for now. I'll go back in two weeks.

I didn't have to make the decision on my own. God gave me the answer. That was another huge answer to prayer! 

Friday night held the circus--I was so so excited, but nervous about how I'd get to my seat. Jess told me to just wheel in on my scooter and see if they'd accommodate me. I prayed I'd be able to get a handicap seat.

And? We did! All four of us. God is handing out the answers right and left. 

I absolutely loved the circus. It was a great way to keep my mind occupied.

Saturday held Brooke's shower out of town. I couldn't decide if I wanted to go. I didn't know if I could handle it. I wanted to, but I was scared. I prayed about it. I decided to give it a shot.

It was a beautiful shower. I'm so glad I went, but it was difficult. A waitress dropped a knife on my foot (yes, the bad one). I couldn't quite get comfortable, but that's my reality these days. I had a few minutes of panic afterward when my foot started getting too dark and the swelling wouldn't go down. We left and I tried so hard to keep my mind occupied. I looked through a catalogue; I closed my eyes and tried to relax; I worked on school work--my foot eventually calmed down.

God would not leave me. 

And all of you? You've been amazing. I've been so blessed by all of your love and encouragement and prayers. It has warmed my heart and kept me going the last few days. I cannot thank you enough.

You're all an answer to prayer!

No comments: