Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Planes, Trains, and Automobiles Update!

Ok, more like walking, biking, and driving....but it's still exciting!

Just yesterday morning I was struggling with how I'd take my first steps. I couldn't fathom my brain telling my feet to actually step unassisted and them responding. I know it's a foreign concept to most, but I honestly couldn't figure out how I'd do it....

Then, midday, nothing short of a miracle happened. I took a step...on my own. And honestly? I don't even remember how it happened. I didn't struggle mentally with the process. I didn't consciously take a step. I didn't try for any particular reason.

It just happened. 

And then I took a few more. I was shocked.

Was it easy? No way. But, I could do it.

God took away that mental battle completely. He literally made the lame walk. One minute I couldn't fathom even trying to take a step on my own. The next minute I was walking. I know that was not of my own strength. 

Yesterday afternoon in physical therapy, I mentioned that I had taken some steps on my own. And guess what? The walker was pushed aside. I didn't use it at all while I was there.

I felt like I was walking on a balance beam or a tightrope (and I'm sure I looked much sillier). I had absolutely no balance. I was so slow. Each step felt like I was putting twice my body weight onto one foot. But, I was determined, I was being encouraged and cheered on, and it was great.

After physical therapy and dinner, we had a bit of time to spare, so Mom drove into the neighborhood where my home group is held and pulled over. I walked to the driver's side of the car and actually drove!

The first words out of my mouth? Why isn't the car going? 

Mom: Because you're not pushing the pedal hard enough! 

Weird! It's crazy how foreign a concept can become in just a few months...walking, driving...

I was able to pick up the pace, and I began to feel more comfortable. I'm actually going to try to drive myself to work tomorrow. I can't wait!

So how did today go? Well, I was super sore when I woke up--not uncommon--but I knew everything would loosen up a bit the more I moved.

I kept my walker with me throughout the day for balance, but I did walk some on my own. By the time I got to physical therapy, I was tired, but encouraged.

I set the walker aside as soon as I got there, did my exercises, walked my laps, got worked on (by my awesome PT), and actually hopped on (ok, carefully climbed onto) the stationary bike. I was a bit nervous at first, but it felt GREAT! It was amazing to get my legs moving again and my foot responded so well to it.

I put away a little over 4 miles in about 30 minutes. No swelling. No purple. Nothing.

What? Yesterday I couldn't even WALK! 

In the words of my physical therapist: There is finally light at the end of the tunnel! 

I'm not sure how big the spot of light is yet, but it's there!

Thank you, Jess for taking such good care of me. 
Thank you God for your strength and continued healing. 


30 And great crowds came to him, bringing with them the lame, the blind, the crippled, the mute, and many others, and they put them at his feet, and he healed them, 31 so that the crowd wondered, when they saw the mute speaking, the crippled healthy, the lame walking, and the blind seeing. And they glorified the God of Israel. (Matthew 15)

To God be the glory! 

1 comment:

Nicole said...

PTLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!