Saturday, April 27, 2013

K-A-T-I-E!!!

While most little girls were playing with their Barbies and baby dolls, I was dressing up and playing "Katie Couric". 

No joke. 

For as long as I can remember, I've had a fascination with the news, 20/20, and the Today Show. 

So, it's no surprise then that my old next door neighbor and I would dress up, pull over chairs or stools, and put on news programs for our families or neighbors or stuffed animals. I admit, we were odd kids, but pretty darn awesome at the same time.  

I'm not sure what it was about Katie that first captured my attention, but I can always remember having a deep admiration for her and her work. 

If you asked me when I was younger who I wanted to be when I grew up, I'd tell you Katie Couric. If I could switch places with anyone for a day, it'd be Katie. 

Yes, I became a teacher, but there's always been a little inner journalist inside me wishing she could burst out. Since I know that teaching is where God has me (and I love it!), I have to feed that little inner journalist bits and pieces where I can (like being on the news this time.... and this time)!

I was quite saddened when Katie left the Today show. I'd watch her on the CBS evening news on occasion, but it was never the same. So, I was thrilled when she started her own talk show. She could finally be herself again--laughing and joking and crying and being real with people. Perhaps that's why I love her so much. She's real. 

When I heard earlier this week that Katie was coming to LA to film a few shows, I was ecstatic. I tried all week to get tickets. I was put on the waitlist, then they were sold out, then I was back on the waitlist--I was dying! Finally, yesterday, the status changed from waitlist to available. FREAK OUT!

So, Mom and I drove down to Hollywood late last night, woke up FAR too early, stood in line anxious and excited, and finally got seated in the studio. I was loving it! 

I had a slight freak out when I saw Katie for the first time. She came out, thanked us for coming, and explained how they'd be filming the show that day. You could just tell that she truly loves what she does. She's so fun to watch! Will.i.am and Zooey Deschanel were the special guests--and both were incredible. We got to take home both of their new CDs! LOVE free stuff! I was seriously so sad to see it end. It was such a fun experience! 

I suppose we'll just have to go see her again when we travel to New York next. Ahhh shucks! :)

Be sure to tune in and watch our episode on MAY 8th on CBS! If you're looking at the audience we were on the very right hand side in the 3rd row. Mom's wearing blue and I'm wearing bright orangish. 

ENJOY! 




No comments: