Wednesday, August 10, 2011

This Definitely Made the Top 10 List of Life!

Yesterday I did one of the most amazing things I have ever done--flew over and into the Grand Canyon in a helicopter!! I was able to cross off two things from my (never written down) bucket list: ride in a helicopter and go see the Grand Canyon. This was truly an epic way to kill two birds with one stone so to speak.

The van picked us up at our hotel at 0635. We. Were. Tired to say the least. We rode to Henderson airport, checked in with the company, hung out a bit, and were separated into our different groups. We were going to go on this adventure in the hands of Pilot Jake Arnold.

We went on another quick van ride, got some instructions, took some pics, strapped on our floatation devices (in case we accidentally landed in Lake Mead or the Hoover Dam), and loaded up. Mom and I got to sit right up front with the pilot and I was stoked!

As we lifted off, the music playing in our headsets was "Come Fly With Me," and I seriously couldn't stop giggling. I was like a little kid getting a pony for Christmas. I knew instantly that I had fallen in love with helicopters. I need to learn how to fly one--seriously seriously seriously. New life goal.

We flew up and out toward the canyon and I giggled--a lot. Our pilot probably thought I was a nutcase. :) We got to see Lake Mead and the Hoover Dam. We saw lots and lots of desert and dry land, and we came upon the canyon grande. We actually flew down into the canyon, pretty close to the side, and I was just slowly dying inside from excitement.

The copter landed in the bottom of the canyon and we were able to get out, walk around, take pictures, enjoy a bit of a picnic, and hang out with the other folks from another copter. The whole time I just couldn't believe it was real.

After about 25-30 minutes, we strapped on our floaties, buckled in (the back this time--we had to share), and took off again. We stopped about 15 minutes later to fuel up, and then went on our way. I was so so sad when we spotted the strip and realized that my epic adventure was too quickly coming to an end. As we touched down, "Happy Trails to You" was playing on our headsets. Loved it.

It was my first helicopter ride, but I assure you, it will NOT be my last. I cannot recommend this highly enough. We went with a company called Maverick Airlines , and I was nothing but pleased with them. Check it out if you're planning a trip to Vegas in the near future. I will leave you with some amazing pictures to assure you of the epicness and awesomeness of this adventure. To see all of the pictures, click here!

 Mom and me--all geared up!


 Pilot Jake Arnold!


 Yah, we were that close!


 The Hoover Dam


 Lake Mead


 Approaching the Canyon


 The Grand Canyon


 Incredible


 Getting lower and lower


 After we landed, walking around


 Madre and me with our sweet ride


 Stripes


If I had 10 thumbs, I'd give this 10 thumbs up


No comments: