Monday, June 8, 2015

Anticipation and The Big Dipper

As I went to take the trash out tonight, I couldn't help but look up at the night sky for a moment and admire the stars. My eyes immediately searched for the Big Dipper--as they do automatically wherever I am.

Why the Big Dipper? It's a constant reminder of how great and vast and mighty my God is, how small and insignificant I am, and how truly connected we are here on earth (although it seems far larger than we can fathom).

I remember making a deal with one of my closest friends in high school to look up at the Big Dipper every night at a set time while I was in Romania, knowing that that particular friend would be in another part of Europe doing the same thing at the same time. It was a reminder to pray for each other, a reminder of how much we cared about each other, a reminder that we were not alone--our God and our brothers and sisters in Christ were always with us. I remember feeling so comforted and so close to God each time I'd look up and spot that one tiny (yet incredible!) aspect of His vast creation.

All these years later, the Big Dipper still evokes a sense of awe and wonder in me. As I gaze at it, I can't help but ponder who else in the world is glancing up at the very same stars at the very same moment I am. Who else at that same second is in awe of the greatness of our God?

I am also comforted in knowing that my team (my family) in Pennsylvania can see "my" Big Dipper. It makes my heart slightly giddy to know that my kiddos and my dear friends in Romania can see these very same stars. We are thousands of miles apart, yet we will always be connected.

When I'm home sick for Romania, I often look up at the night sky and remember that I'm really not that far away. When I'm in Romania, I look up at the night sky and can't help but giggle when I see the very same stars I admire from my front yard. Isn't that just beyond incredible?

So, tonight I look at the Big Dipper with GREAT anticipation, for I know that in a few short days, I'll be looking at the same set of stars from a different perspective halfway around the world.

When you look up at the night sky during the next few weeks, will you spot the Big Dipper and remember to pray for us halfway around the world in Romania? I'll be sure to do the same and thank God for the amazing support and encouragement of my family and friends back home. 

Our God is an awesome God. He reigns from Heaven above with wisdom, power, and love. Our God is an awesome God! 


No comments: