Sunday, February 26, 2012

Give Me Patience, I Pray...

They (who are "they" actually?) say to never pray for patience because you will certainly get it...

I must defy "them" right now. I need patience--lots of it.

I do love teaching junior high, but it's tough--sometimes really tough--sometimes more than I can handle tough.

My feelings toward my students closely mirror their relationships with each other. Some days I absolutely adore them, and some days I get to the point where I've just had enough...

....I don't ever want to get to that point. But it happens. It seems like it's been happening more often lately.

I want to go into each and every day overflowing with God's grace and love so that it pours out on my students. I want to have an abundance of patience so that I have enough for every ridiculous question, for every time I have to repeat myself, for every time I have to break up an argument or altercation, for every time I have to calm down a disruptive student, and for every over-attentive parent.

There is no way, in and of myself, that I will ever have enough grace and love and patience to make it through a day.

Yet, I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me (Phil. 4:13).

God also reminds me to fear not, for He is with me. He will strengthen me and help me. He will uphold me with His righteous right hand (Isaiah 41:10).

What beautiful promises these are.

I cannot do it on my own, but I don't have to....

God,


May I go forth this week and always in your strength. 
May I be filled with your Spirit so that I may love my students as you do. 
May your grace and mercy and patience fill me to overflowing. 
May your words and promises always remain on my heart and in my mind. 


Thank you for never leaving my side.
Thank you for carrying me.
Thank you for taking over when I get to the end of myself.


Thank you for forgiving me when I mess up.


In Jesus' Name,
Amen

No comments: