Thursday, February 16, 2012

Memory Lane

I have been flooded with a torrent of nostalgia the last couple of days.

I'm not sure of its onset, but I can be sure that it was propelled forward by connecting with some far away friends, spending time reminiscing with some old pictures during my prep today (the picture wall can be seen here),  thinking about the trip I get to take with the AVID kids in May to visit CSULB, driving by both of my former schools at different points today, seeing some of my old colleagues and even teachers after school, and the fact that my mind just refused to let it go.

Let's be honest, the torrent threatened to flood my eyes at times...

...but the responsibilities of the day sandbagged it, and I was able to hold it together.

I know God brings some relationships into our lives for the long haul--but most are only present for a time.

If I truly stop to think about my forever friends, the love and admiration alone I have for them is enough to bring me to tears. Of course they have been on my mind--they frequently are--and I miss most of them dearly, for most of these forever friends are much too far away. The nostalgia I feel towards them is a yearning for the times when distance didn't separate us. I long for the days of sitting on one's couch and watching her iron. I miss the times friends would come over to my house and drink chocolate milk and take naps. I miss having roommates (who were so much more than roommates) right across the hall. I could go on and on...

As for those that God gave me for a time? For those God is blessing me with now? For you, I am so grateful--for you have all touched me and shaped me in some way. It's you that have consumed many of my thoughts over the last couple of days.

I have to say--some incredible memories reclaimed places in my heart during this nostalgic flood.

A huge part of me wants to pour out all of these memories onto my keyboard, but I could never encompass all of them (or their importance) into a few simple words--and I know you don't want to spend your life reading this one post.

Some standout memories?

...mission trips and the teams I grew so close to through both triumphs and challenges.

...high school drama (theater)--my fellow (most of us now former) thespians will always hold a special place in my heart, especially those who took me under their wings when I was just a freshman.

...youth group--the girls in my impact groups, the leaders who helped me grow, and I'm sure I'll never forget the girls on the championship broom hockey team from Hume.

...college dorms and the apartment--I'll never forget my neighbors, roommates, pseudo roommates, or the day I moved away and left it all behind.

...Thompson with its great staff and some of the most amazing students I could have ever hoped for.



And here I am--exactly where God wants me to be...

...thankful for the experiences and people that have touched my life over the past twenty some years.

...blessed by the opportunities I get to pause and reflect upon the past while still living in the present and moving forward.

...missing dear old friends and current far away friends.

...absolutely loving a few of the people He has blessed me with recently. :)



Thanks for taking a few moments to journey with me down memory lane. Thanks for loving me and sharing life with me.

Have we shared any memorable moments together? I'd love to hear about your favorites as my nostalgic fever rages on.

No comments: