Sunday, January 8, 2012

When I Grow Up, I Want to Be...

When I was asked this question as a child, I gave many different answers. Here are a few in alphabetical order (because I can't figure out their order of importance):

Actress
Ambassador
Astronaut
News anchor
Pilot
Teacher



How did these dreams and aspirations originate? Well, they say I was a bit dramatic (actress); I wanted to travel and see the world (ambassador--although I'm not even sure how I knew what an ambassador was as a child. It was probably all that news and 20/20 I watched); I loved learning about space (astronaut); the news was my favorite TV show (news anchor); I love(d) being up in the sky (pilot); and my mom was a teacher (teacher).

I sometimes wonder how teacher won out. At first glance, it seems like the least exciting profession listed above, and it was never at the top of my list growing up--it was just what I always knew. I know I decided against actress and news caster because I am quite competitive by nature. These careers are all about competition, and I didn't want to fail. I decided a life of trying and failing or trying harder and harder to get ahead wasn't for me. This isn't to say that I couldn't have done it, but God led my heart away from it (and I was never a great actress--let's me honest).  I certainly admire those that are actors and news anchors--those that toughed it out and succeeded. The ambassador route was never taken seriously because I didn't really know what they did or how to go about becoming one. During high school, I realized that science wasn't my strength, so I ruled out pilot and astronaut. It seems as if teacher won by process of elimination.

Ultimately, I know that it was God's sovereignty that led me into this profession. It was His spirit that led my heart to choose this path as opposed to another, but I still sometimes wonder how my life would be different had I chosen a different career path.

I still look at that list with an element of longing. They are still the dreams of my childhood...

Fortunately, I have gotten a slight taste of what some of these careers may have been like:

Actress: I did it in high school and loved it. I act in front of my students every single day. That'll have to do.

News anchor: I did get to be on the news a few times, and I had a blast (but I've been told to stick with my day job).

Pilot: I do get to fly a helicopter sometime soon. I'll keep you posted on how I like it. :)

Now if only I could get a taste of what being an ambassador or an astronaut would be like, my childhood dreams would be fulfilled. :)

And who knows, maybe God has something else lined up for my future! I'll do the very best I can with where He has me now, and keep my mind and heart open to His plans for my future.

What were your dreams as a child?? Answer this question for me: When you grow up, what do you want to be???

2 comments:

Cambi said...

You could totally do the news! It's just different when you are thrown on and don't have a microphone. Maybe we can do a segment called try my job and you could get a real shot at it. I'm pitching that idea tomorrow!

aerickson said...

Just don't put "I love lamp" on the prompter!