Sunday, September 11, 2011

I Remember...

Ten years ago today I stayed home sick from school.

My mom called shortly after getting to work and woke me up. She wanted me to hear the news from her, rather than waking up and turning on the TV myself. She didn't want me to be afraid.

We're under attack--the World Trade Center has been hit. In my sleepy, sick state, I had no idea the gravity of the situation. I really had no idea what she was talking about. I can't even honestly say that I knew what the Twin Towers were at the age of fifteen.

I turned on the TV after I hung up the phone and watched in silent horror; I'm sure with tears streaming down my face. I watched the live reports as the second plane hit--I couldn't believe I witnessed such a horrific thing. I watched as people jumped from the buildings. I watched as the towers fell. I'm pretty sure I sat riveted to the TV all day. I was in shock with the rest of America. I was angry. I was sad. I was brokenhearted.

Now, ten years later, I still can't watch the footage without tears filling my eyes. I can't think of the massive loss without my heart sinking. This morning as I watched CNN, I fought to put my makeup on as I got ready for church because my eyes wouldn't dry up. How can you look at the raw, real pain of those that lost family and loved ones and not be affected? How can we so easily forget that we were so brutally attacked? How can we not continue to fight back and protect our freedom?

So, I take a moment to thank the men and women who gave their lives this day ten years ago, and the men and women who continue to sacrifice their lives day in and day out for our country.

You will never be forgotten. I will always remember...

No comments: