Thursday, February 27, 2014

Things I'd Like to Tell My Junior Highers Part 4

    Click the following links for the first three sections of the series:
     Part 1
     Part 2
     Part 3

4. There is more to life than what’s happening this weekend.
        
Like I mentioned in my introduction post, so much of what I hear from you (my students) breaks my heart. When I look at you, I see innocence, joy, potential, freedom, and an amazing future. But, when you open your mouths on Monday morning and tell me about a party that you all went to over the weekend where there were fights and alcohol and who knows what else, that “picture-perfect image” shatters.

Because of the choices you are making during your junior high years, you are handing over precious and valuable pieces of your innocence, joy, and freedom.
At your age, you should not be exposed to alcohol or drugs. You should not be using profanity like you do. You should certainly not be making out or hooking up with the opposite sex (or the same sex for that matter).

You are in this awkward transition between kid and young adult and you’re sprinting far too quickly toward adult.

LET YOURSELF BE A KID FOR AS LONG AS POSSIBLE!

You aren’t old enough to deal with the responsibilities of being an adult, so stop trying to act like one. Stop worrying about going to the best party on the weekend. Stop worrying about seeing this guy or getting that girl’s number. Stop worrying about sneaking around and doing whatever your parents tell you not to.

There is so much more to life than that!

“But,” you say, “what am I supposed to do on the weekend if I don’t go to a party? There’s nothing to do in this town!”

Yah, I’ve heard that line plenty. I seemed to survive.

Here are a few ideas for you:

·      Go to a friend’s house and watch an appropriate movie.
·      Go get Jamba Juice and wander around the Marketplace (Get over the fact that it’s “not cool”).
·      Go play on the swings at the park.
·      Go to Target and try on the craziest clothes.
·      Go buy a cheap wiffle ball set and have an impromptu game.
·      Go on a scavenger hunt.
·      Go swimming (with an appropriate bathing suit—don’t even get me started).
·      Have a craft competition with whatever you can find in the house.
·      Make a music video (keep it clean).
·      Buy an Easy Bake oven and act like a kid again (yah, that was you like three years ago!)
·      Invent a recipe and bake cookies.
·      Have a 90s movie marathon.
·      Go on a walk.
·      Play board games or card games.
·      Make up a game.
·      Go to Barnes and Nobel and wander around.
·      Get done up and take glamour shot pictures (girls, obviously).
·      Volunteer somewhere
·      Play a sport
·      Learn something new

 My brother and our neighbor during one of our many random craft nights. 

 Swings are still my favorite. 

Two of my high school best buds got me an Easy Bake Oven for my birthday. We had lots of fun with that thing! 


I could go on and on. Honestly, these are the things that my friends and I did throughout high school and college (see above!). We shared ENDLESS laughs. We have some amazing memories. We just loved being together (without the distraction of cell phones and technology). We grew together, had incredible long conversations, and loved life.

And, we don’t have regrets.

Don’t grow up too soon. Be creative. Be wise. Keep laughing.
           

PS – Part 5 of Things I’d Like to Tell My Junior Highers will be coming up tomorrow.




No comments: