Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Green Smoothie GOODNESS!

If you've been around me (or my Instagram or Facebook) since the beginning of the year, you'll know that I've been embarking on a green smoothie adventure.

How did it all begin??

Honestly, I can't remember exactly. I remember looking over at my lonely blender one day at the end of last year and thinking about using it to make smoothies--it had never done such things before. I believe I posted something on FB asking about smoothie recipes. Never in my WILDEST dreams did I think I'd give GREEN smoothies a chance, but Marcie posted this website onto my FB, and I couldn't stop scouring it. I read something about a 30 day green smoothie challenge, and I just decided I would do it.

Me? GREEN LEAFY THINGS? WHAT?!?! I still don't know what possessed me to decide to do such a thing, but I did, and then Mom did, and guess what? It IS AWESOME.

As most of you know, I don't eat leaves unless they are cooked. They make me ^@#*%! But, blend them up quite nicely with other awesome things, and I can do it!

The first trip to the grocery store was a bit overwhelming, but each subsequent week has been quite easy. We buy our greens, measure them out, and freeze them. We cut up bananas and freeze them and use frozen fruit for the rest of our recipes. Mom and I make our smoothies at night and store them in mason jars in the fridge. Talk about an easy "grab and go" breakfast!

There are a TON of awesome recipes on the Simple Green Smoothie website, but my FAVORITE is spinach, water, bananas, pineapple, and mangos  (along with some flax seed and hemp protein powder). It is seriously SO MUCH better than Jamba.

I have to admit, when I first starting drinking green smoothies, I had to disguise them in a dark cup with a dark straw, but now I can gulp them down in a clear cup with no problem.

So, I drank a green smoothie for breakfast every day in January (along with giving up soda and sweets), and now I drink one every day during the week (and the soda and sweets are cut to a minimum, but not altogether out of the picture). On the days that I don't have a green smoothie, I actually crave it.

The first question most people ask is, "Have you lost weight?" Honestly, I don't know. I don't weigh myself on a regular basis (if ever--and the Lyrica makes that next to impossible anyway). But, I do feel better in the mornings. I don't get hungry like I used to mid morning. And, I know I'm giving my body tons of awesome nutrition that it needs and craves. Isn't that good enough? I'd say so. 



Check out the website! Give green smoothies a try. If I can drink these things, ANYONE can! 

Let me know what your favorite recipes are!

No comments: