Sunday, March 16, 2014

Epic Weekend Part 1: Urgent Care

I knew this weekend was going to be epic; I just had no idea it would begin in Urgent Care.

I had been looking forward to a Saturday with Lady Antebellum and a Sunday with UCLA gymnastics for quite some time now, but Friday left me a bit unsure about my weekend plans.

I had to double my new meds on Thursday, and I expected it to be just fine. #dontexpectsuchthings

On Thursday night I never fell asleep. I've had trouble sleeping before, but I've never stayed awake all night (not counting all nighters in high school). When my alarm went off Friday morning and I tried to get out of bed, my body was not having it. I was super dizzy and a bit disoriented. I knew I wouldn't be able to get to work. I threw together some sub plans and tried to fall asleep. Didn't work.

A few hours later I got sick (I'll spare you the details). I didn't take any meds, I couldn't eat or drink much of anything, and so I didn't move from the couch. Moving was painful and dizzying, so staying put was the best option for the day.

By the time evening came, I decided to try to get up to use the restroom. #fail. I basically splayed myself out in the hallway. I didn't pass out, but I couldn't get up or move. It honestly crossed my mind that Mom was going to have to call 911 just to get my butt up off the floor and into a doctor's care. But, I was finally able to crawl into the restroom, and with the help of my mama and the walker, I made it to the car.

Shortly thereafter we found ourselves at Urgent Care, and I found myself with a fever, sinus infection (I'm assuming from that bad cold I had earlier in the week) and severe dehydration. The doc assumed that the sickness, weakness, dizziness was due to the med change, and that mixed with the sinus infection left me a hot mess.

I got hooked up to an IV (normally my least favorite thing, but I couldn't care less at that point), and the fluid began to deliver life back into my veins.

After two bags of that magic goodness, I felt semi-human again. I was even able to walk (with a bit of help) out of Urgent Care about an hour and a half later. Amazing.

When I got home, I was finally able to eat a bit of food and drink some water before sleeping for about 11 hours.

IV fluid + food/water + lots of sleep = a whole new Amy.

On Saturday morning I still wasn't quite sure about the events of the weekend, but I took things slowly. I rested. I took breaks. I decided to give it a try….

…stay tuned to hear about the rest of the EPIC weekend!!!

No comments: