Thursday, April 4, 2013

How to Deal 3.0

In case you missed them, check out:



and



And today I bring to you....

How to Deal 3.0: Good Reads

Reading good solid truth is always an excellent choice when it comes to remaining in the correct mindset, dealing with challenges, and battling against struggles. 

Here are a few of my favorites:


Psalm 139 (click here to read the entire chapter) 

For you created my inmost being;
    you knit me together in my mother’s womb.
14 I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
    your works are wonderful,
    I know that full well.
15 My frame was not hidden from you
    when I was made in the secret place,
    when I was woven together in the depths of the earth.
16 Your eyes saw my unformed body;
    all the days ordained for me were written in your book
    before one of them came to be.
17 How precious to me are your thoughts,[a] God!
    How vast is the sum of them!
18 Were I to count them,
    they would outnumber the grains of sand
    when I awake, I am still with you.

This is one of my favorite chapters in the entire Bible. It's currently the background picture on my phone. One summer I was challenged to read it every day for a month--it's incredible how the Lord speaks to you in different ways through the same words. Give it a try!


This Momentary Marriage by, John Piper


Click here to check it out on Amazon--"This Momentary Marriage unpacks the biblical vision, its unexpected contours, and its weighty implications for married, single, divorced, and remarried alike." 

Why, you ask, does reading a book about marriage help you deal with being single? Well, it enables you understand marriage as God created it and intends it, it helps prepare you for marriage (if that's what God wills), and it helps you, as a single person, keep a correct Biblical view of marriage, not a romanticized Disneyprincess version of it. 


The Land Between by, Jeff Manion 


Click here to check it out on Amazon--Manion "uses the biblical story of the Israelites' journey through Sinai desert as a metaphor for being in undesired, transitional space." 

Hmmm....undesired, transitional space? Yup. It's a good, solid read. 


The Sexy Celibate blog by, Kate Hurley

Click here to check it out! I love love love it! Her tagline: Thirty something. Christian. Fully Clothed.

I'm also quite excited her book that was just released--Getting Naked Later. I just ordered it, and I'm quite excited about her great sense of humor and her raw heart.





...and on the docket to read after Getting Naked Later is...


The Meaning of Marriage by, Timothy Keller



Click here to check it out on Amazon--"Timothy Keller with his wife of 36 years, delivers The Meaning of Marriage, an extraordinarily insightful look at the keys to happiness in marriage that will inspire Christians, skeptics, singles, long-time married couples, and those about to be engaged."


I'm thinking this will be along the same lines as Piper's book--I'm quite looking forward to learning as much as possibly and dealing as well as I possibly can. :) 



No comments: