Monday, February 24, 2014

Things I'd Like to Tell My Junior Highers Part 1

Since I’m a bit on the younger side, I find myself hearing about much of the goings on of my students. Some of the time it’s endearing. Some of the time it completely breaks my heart.

If I had an open platform, there are so many things I’d like to share with them. I throw in bits and pieces here and there when I can, but I’d like to elaborate on a few ideas here.


1. What you post on the Internet (or send in a text message) will be there forever.



Think you can simply delete it later? Nope. Once it’s out there, it’s out there. Someone will be able to access it if they really want to. Be careful what you say/write. Just as words can’t be unsaid, letters can’t be un-typed once posted, and pictures can’t be untaken.

If you think you can get around this by writing about your “friends” anonymously, think again. Everyone knows exactly what you’re doing, and your “friends” will find out (although they may not remain your friends for long).

If you post a picture of yourself (or text a picture of yourself), make sure it’s one that your parents, pastor (or priest or whatever), future employer (they will check!), and future children can look at and will be proud to see. Always think twice (or 5,000 times) before displaying something on the Internet, Snap Chatting it, or texting it out.  If you doubt it for a second, don’t send/post it! And, don’t think for a moment that it’ll disappear in a few seconds—ever heard of a screen shot? Once it’s out of your possession, you NEVER know what may be done with it.

Your value is not wrapped up in the number of followers, likes, or comments you receive. You are SO much more than that! If you post something simply to get attention or a reaction, it’s not worth posting. Think about your intentions before throwing yourself out there.

Always remember:
·      Think before you text/post.
·      Think about why you’re texting/posting.
·      Don’t put anything out there that you wouldn’t want your pastor, teachers, or parents to see.

·      You are MORE VALUABLE than the amount of followers, likes, or comments you get.



** Stay tuned for more posts coming this week.**

No comments: